The St. Johns Cultural Council presents an opportunity for local artists to exhibit at the St. Johns County Administration Building from February through March 2024.
Visual artists are invited to submit their work for a solo exhibition opportunity at the St. Johns County Administration Building. There are no generic, stylistic, or thematic constraints.
Submissions must be made online by December 15, 2023. A panel of judges will select work to be included in the exhibition and notify artists on or before December 20, 2023.
- The selected artist will receive a stipend of $1,500 to cover the costs of preparing their work for the exhibition, including printing, mounting, and framing of work.
- The Cultural Council will publish an exhibition catalog, prepare exhibition labels and signage, and promote the exhibition.
- An opening reception for the exhibition will be hosted by the Cultural Council.
The Rotunda Gallery utilizes a cable and hook system, and all hanging works should be prepared for exhibition with this in mind. Framed works may not exceed 40” in height and width and must be ready to hang with secure gallery wire.
The Cultural Council tentatively plans to open the solo exhibition on Tuesday, February 6, 2024. Dates are subject to change.
- December 15, 2023: Deadline for submissions
- December 20, 2023: Selections made, and artists are notified
- February 6, 2024: Exhibition opening with a morning reception
- February 7, 2024: Evening reception
- March 2024: Exhibition closes; artists remove work from Rotunda Gallery
Submit a coherent portfolio suitable for a solo exhibition, along with an artist statement and a short bio. The portfolio should consist of at least 10 and at most 25 images as high-quality digital images. Submissions by photographers may include one or two series, provided that the two series are suitable for a joint presentation in a single exhibition.
Artists who are 18 years or older and residents of St. Johns County, Florida, may submit their portfolio by 5 PM on Friday, December 15, 2023, with the following requirements:
- Link to image files stored online (DropBox, Google Drive, etc.) or emailed to us using a file transfer service like WeTransfer:
- JPG, JPEG, or PNG formats
- 1200px or more on the longest side, up to 5 MB in size.
- 300 dpi
- Image file must include the artist’s last name and title of work with no spaces; titles may be shortened to avoid long file labels.
- To ensure we receive all submitted images and that they maintain quality, please do not attach images in an email message or as a Word document.
- Attach a Word document in the submission email or include it in the link with image files titled “[Artist Name]_PortfolioEntries.” This document should provide the following information about your submitted works:
- The full title of all images with the corresponding file names
- Materials and techniques
- Dimensions in inches (height x width)
- Proposed method of display
- Artist’s statement about each piece
Please note that curating this exhibition will possibly involve selections from your portfolio. The curator may also recommend size modifications to suit the gallery space.
This call for entries is competitive; entrants are not guaranteed an exhibition or online acknowledgment by submitting an entry. The selection of the curators is final.
Submit your images by e-mail to [email protected], indicating “Exhibition Portfolio: [Artist Name]” in the subject line. The body of the email must include:
- Artist name
- Telephone number
- Residential address
- Your website and social media profiles (if applicable)
The St. Johns Cultural Council reserves the right to make final decisions on all submissions. The artist certifies they hold the copyright for the artwork and its image and certifies the work submitted is original and does not infringe on any existing copyright. The Cultural Council will attribute the name of the artist whenever images of the artwork are used for print and/or digital promotion. The artist grants permission for the St. Johns Cultural Council to use the submitted images for promotion in print and/or digital media. Entrants assume and accept all legal and financial responsibility for any infringement on the privacy rights or copyright of others, caused by creating or presenting their work in public.
Selected artists must sign an authorization of exhibition and a waiver of liability agreement before their works may be displayed.
The St. Johns Cultural Council will archive all exhibitions electronically, allowing the promotion of exhibiting artists to curators and collectors as well as the viewing public. In case of a sale inquiry, the artist will be promptly contacted.
For further information, contact Laura Baldwin via email at [email protected].