The St. Johns Cultural Council presents an opportunity for textile artists to exhibit at the St. Johns County Administration Building: September – December 2023
The St. Johns Cultural Council will host its first fiber arts exhibition at the Rotunda Gallery of the St. Johns County Administration Building, St. Augustine, Florida from September through December of 2023. We invite textile artists of all ages – who reside in St. Johns County – to submit their work for consideration. Artists may submit two- and three-dimensional works of original design made by hand or machine. Eligible works include fine wearables, art quilts, wall installations, unique surface designs, and fiber sculptures. There are no generic, stylistic, or thematic constraints; artists working in all genres and styles are welcome to submit their work.
Submissions must be made online by July 7, 2023. A panel of judges will select work to be included in the exhibition and notify artists on or before July 15, 2023.
The Cultural Council will publish an exhibition catalog featuring the chosen works and artists and host a public opening reception. Cash prizes ranging from $100 to $500 will be awarded for People’s Choice and Best in Show Awards.
Each work must be constructed of at least 25% fiber. Sculpture must a) have maximum dimensions not exceeding 20” in all directions or b) be capable of display on an appropriate stand provided by the artist.
The Rotunda Gallery utilizes a cable and hook system and all hanging works should be prepared for exhibition with this in mind. Hanging works without frames must not exceed 60” in height and width and should be prepared to hang from a rod or slat fitted with eye hooks or D-rings and/or with gallery wire, rope, cord, etc. from which the work with hang from the hook and cable system. Rods and slats should not extend beyond the work more than 2”. Framed works may not exceed 40” in height and width and must be ready to hang with secure gallery wire.
*Please note that delivery and installation dates are subject to change*
- July 7, 2023: Deadline for submissions
- July 15, 2023: Selections made; Artists notified
- August 1, 2023: Artist photographs and bios due for inclusion in catalogue
- August 31, 2023: Work delivered for installation
- September 5, 2023: Exhibition opening with morning reception
- September 6, 2023: Evening reception
- TBD: Exhibition closes; artists remove work from Rotunda Gallery
Artists who are residents of St. Johns County, Florida may submit up to 5 individual works as high-quality digital images, on or before 5 PM on Friday, July 7, 2023, with the following requirements:
- – JPG, JPEG, or PNG formats
- – 1200px or more on the longest side, up to 5 MB in size.
- – 300 dpi
- – Links to files stored online may be provided (DropBox, Google Drive, etc.)
- – Image file must include artist last name and title of work with no spaces; titles may be shortened to avoid long file labels.
Entries must be submitted via email to [email protected] with the subject line indicating “Textile Exhibition: [Artist Name]”. The body of the email must include:
- – Artist name
- – Telephone number
- – Residential address
- – An attached Word document titled “[Artist Name]_TextileEntries” that contains the following information about the submitted works:
- – Full title of all images with the corresponding file names
- – Materials and techniques
- – Dimensions in inches (height x width)
- – Proposed method of display
- – Artist statement about each piece
Both professional and student artists are encouraged to submit their work. A parent or guardian of artists under the age of 18 must consent to the artist’s participation in the exhibition.
The St. Johns Cultural Council reserves the right to make final decisions on all submissions. The artist certifies they hold the copyright for the artwork and its image, and certifies the work submitted is original and does not infringe on any existing copyright. The Cultural Council will attribute the name of the artist whenever images of the artwork are used for print and/or digital promotion. The artist grants permission for the St. Johns Cultural Council to use the submitted images for promotion in print and/or digital media. Entrants assume and accept all legal and financial responsibility for any infringement on the privacy rights or copyright of others, caused by creating or presenting their work in public.
Selected artists must sign an authorization of exhibition and a waiver of liability agreement before their works may be displayed.
The St. Johns Cultural Council will archive all exhibitions electronically, allowing the promotion of exhibiting artists to curators and collectors as well as the viewing public. In case of a sale inquiry, the artist will be promptly contacted.
For additional information, please contact Laura Baldwin by email at [email protected].