The St. Johns Cultural Council is pleased to announce its Third Annual Haiku Contest. Local poets of all ages are invited to submit up to three haiku with the theme Natural Florida through the online application portal.
Applications must be submitted on or before February 28th, and the following guidelines apply:
- Applicants must be residents of St. Johns County Florida.
- Each applicant may submit up to three haiku.
- The theme of this year’s contest is Natural Florida. Haiku need not mention the words “nature” or “Florida” but work should be inspired by the natural landscapes, flora, and fauna of St. Johns County.
- Although haiku are not usually titled, we ask that you provide titles to help us identify your work.
- All haiku must be previously unpublished and original.
A selection committee will choose three First Place haiku, one each in the following categories:
- Students ages 12 & younger
- Students ages 13 – 17
- Adults ages 18 & older
Authors of the First Place haiku will each receive a $100 prize, and the winning haiku will be published on StJohnsCulture.com, in our electronic newsletter, and in the AC PAPA Literary Journal.
The selection committee will recognize up to 6 Honorable Mentions (two in each category) that will also be published on our website and in our newsletter. Each author of an Honorable Mention haiku will receive a $25 gift certificate.
Authors of the winning haiku will be selected and notified no later than March 24th and recognized during St. Augustine PoetFest at Flagler College on Saturday, April 15th.