Please read all guidelines, then download the application (found at the bottom of this page). All forms are fill able on your computer. Fill it out and email it along with the requested attachments to sjcc@HistoricCoastCulture.com. Then, print one copy, sign with an ORIGINAL signature and date it and mail it to SJCC, 15 Old Mission Avenue, St. Augustine, FL 32084, delivered or postmarked by 4:00 pm, April 15 or October 1, depending on grant cycle. Grant applications must be received through email and as one signed hard copy to be considered.
The St Johns Cultural Council (SJCC) provides mini grants of up to $500 for arts and cultural activities within St. Johns County, FL. Funding is made possible through revenue from the sale of State of the Arts (SOTA) license plates in St. Johns County. Priority will be given to proposals for activities that reach underserved audiences, arts education, and art in public places.
Organizations, artists and schools may apply for new or expanded programs in the following disciplines: arts in education, music, dance, folk arts, humanities, literature, film/video/media, theatre and musical theatre, visual arts, or the collection or exhibition of cultural or artistic works. Proposals are evaluated on uniqueness, quality and impact.
STATE OF THE ARTS GRANT
Checklist of required documents
__ Application Form
__Attachments to be included in email submission (word documents, scanned documents or pdf):
__ Resumes of principal participants
__ Letters of support and/or partnership with other organizations
__ Other materials deemed relevant to the application
__ Letter from school Principal, if applicable
- There are two cycles per year. Deadlines for applications are April 15 and October 1.
- Incomplete or late applications will not be reviewed or considered for funding.
- To request a Technical Review of the components of the Application, call 904-808-7330 at least ten days in advance of the application due date.
- Each grant is $500 or less.
There are no matching requirements.
The grant request can fully fund the proposed activity or supplement the budget.
Budget should include details about ALL aspects of the project, including in-kind support (donated space, volunteers, deferred compensation, etc.).
Notification of grant awards will be made within one month of the submission date. This should be considered when planning activity start date.
Activities must take place, and funds must be expended, within St. Johns County, during the grant period. The grant period is defined as no longer than one year from original date of grant notification.
Guidelines for submitting a proposal:
- Applicants must use the forms we have provided. All forms can be completed on the computer, then printed.
- Application must be typed; font size must be 11 point or larger.
- Make sure your name or name of organization appears on all support materials.
- Applications must be emailed and one signed hard copy delivered or postmarked to the Cultural Council Office, 15 Old Mission Avenue, St. Augustine, FL 32084 by 4:00 pm on the due date.
- Keep a copy for your records.
For School Teachers/Schools Only
- Applications must be for new programs or for substantial enhancements to existing programs in St. Johns County public schools.
- Preference will be given to projects that integrate the arts with other content areas.
- Funds are granted only for programs or projects that are artistic in nature but teachers of any discipline may apply.
- If an awarded teacher moves to another school, equipment or permanent materials purchased with grant funds become property of the applying school unless the school agrees to allow them to go with the teacher to another St. Johns County School.
- Teachers submitting grants for artists or arts organizations to provide programs at a school must submit a letter of support from the Principal and the partnering artists/organization, if any.
Allowable Grant Expenditures
- Production costs
- Expendable materials
- Salary support related to the proposed activity
- Artistic, administrative, technical, consultant fees
Non-allowable Grant Expenditures
- Capital expenditures or debt reduction
- Fundraising events or other contributions/donations
- Hospitality costs (private entertainment, food or beverages)
- Expenses incurred or obligated prior to or after the grant period
Requirements for Awardees
- Include the St. Johns Cultural Council logo (download here) in all related publicity/printed materials
- The State of the Arts License Plate Program must be acknowledged in public announcements related to the funded activity.
- A written final report of your funded event or project must be submitted by email within 30 days after the completion of your event.
- Include web links and/or copies of social media notices, print publicity, press releases, programs, flyers, agenda, feedback from audiences or participants
- Include at least three (3) images with the final report.
- E-mail .jpg images at 300 dpi to to sjcc@HistoricCoastCulture.com.
- If a funded project/activity is not completed before applying for a new grant, a progress report will be required. Applicants that fail to meet this requirement will not be eligible for SOTA grant awards from the Cultural Council.
The grant review panel will evaluate proposals based on the criteria below.
Artistic and/or Educational Merit - 40 points
Management Capability - 20 points
Marketing Plan - 5 points
Impact to Target Audience - 30 points
Capacity to Attract Other Financial Support - 5 points
- Artistic and/or Educational Merit: The quality of the activity based on the resumes and experience of participating artists. Educational Merit: Based on learning outcome and meeting the current Florida educational standards.
- Management Capability: Based on the administrative and production experience and ability to implement the proposed activity.
- Marketing Plan: How will you tell others about this project?
- Impact to Target Audience: Who is your target audience and in what way will this activity impact them?
- Capacity to Attract Other Financial Support: What other sources are supporting this activity?